Tuesday, February 7, 2012

8 months - yesterday... don't stop praying!

Hello friends and family!

I felt it was time for an update since my dad and I have reached the "8 months since the surgery" mark.

There has been somewhat of a "glitch" in our progress.  I debated on whether or not to post this but I want you to keep praying ... but not worry (at least that is what I am trying to do!)

My dad had a biopsy done on his kidney yesterday because when he went in last week his creatinine levels were off.  The biopsy showed that his body is going through a mild rejection of his new kidney.  While this is news that can freak an entire family out in one fell swoop... the doctors and transplant experts assure us that more than 70% of kidney transplant recipients go through some type of rejection during the first year after the surgery.

My family and I think this might have been worth mentioning in all of the preparation and thought that went into this transplant surgery.  We also agree that if they had told us everything involved... maybe we wouldn't have chosen this path.  We may never know.  The important thing to know and remember here is that THIS IS FIXABLE! The doctors are not worried and they have a treatment plan that will start tomorrow.  It will involve some infusion of various medications and some tweaking of the meds that my dad already takes.

I try to rest in the knowledge that God is totally in control here and He knows what He is doing... and that none of this is up to me... and I have no say.  This is hard for teachers to swallow as we, as a collective group, like to have control and have a say.

As for myself... I have learned that the transplant people know what they are doing and that drinking enough water each day is VITAL.  I only had to learn that one the hard way once.  It will not happen again.  Our bodies are such an amazing creation... I marvel every day that for the most part... almost every day - I feel no different than I did when I had 2 kidneys.  I also thank God for that!

Thank you for your continued support and prayers!

Specific Prayer Requests:


-  Successful treatment of my dad's kidney and body so they start working together and   not against each other.

-  Both Rod and Monica need to continue to drink MUCH water every day (and pray that Rod starts to actually LIKE drinking water!)

-  Please pray that worry is set aside and confidence is given to the doctors who are treating Rod.

I think that is it for now... thanks for sticking with my dad and I on this wild adventure. We both value the prayers offered up on our behalf!

Blessings,

Monica

No comments:

Post a Comment