Sunday, June 12, 2011

Sunday's News

What a great couple of days it has been since I've returned home from the hospital.  We had many visits from good friends and even my niece Charlotte from Albuquerque!  She just happened to be in town this weekend... it was just what the doctor ordered!

I took my first trip out of the house today to visit my dad who is still on the 10th floor at PSL.  His spirits were good today and he had just returned from a walk around the floor - which they really push you to strive for at the hospital.

His recovery began to slow down a couple of days ago and yesterday his kidney took a time out.  It quit.  We all held out breath... and prayed.  All along this process we were told that every body is different.  Sometimes recipients have to go to dialysis the first week after they leave the hospital to sort of "jump-start" the kidney into doing it's job in its new home.  I think the collective "we" (the family) were really the only ones worried about this... the doctors calmly adjusted my dad's meds (because every body is different and responds differently) and today the kidney returned to nearly normal function.  May I say... "WHEW"!

The doctors will tell my dad tomorrow when he can go home, but I'm thinking that he probably won't be going home tomorrow like we had hoped.

My own recovery here at home is steady.  I have developed a terrible pain in my neck (like, I think it might be a pinched nerve...?) and that hurts me more than the surgery sites.  It brings tears to my eyes at times.  I've decided that this is not what they gave me pain meds for though and I'm trying to control it with Tylenol (which certainly, is not nearly as good as the pain meds!) The surgery sites on my belly are healing and for that I am grateful!

They were right about my energy level.  We went to Anthony's Pizza for lunch today at my request (which told me that my appetite is returning - yay!) and then a quick trip to Target and I was done - almost all out of energy before we left Target!  It was nice to get out of the house... don't worry - I won't be pushing it or overdoing it any time soon!

So there you have it.  Everything I know up to this point... except I didn't mention all the wonderful people who have brought over meals, cards and such - Thank you - Thank you - Thank you!!  You will never know how much my family and I appreciate the outpouring of love and concern we are getting both for us and for my parents!

See you in the next blog...  Blessings!

Monica

1 comment:

  1. Hi Monica,
    Glad to hear that you are home but sorry you are having the neck issues. I hope your dad can come home soon. I am sure he and your mom are more than ready to have the hospital stay OVER! We continue to praise God for the good progress and pray for that Kidney to operate at 100% and for full and speedy recovery for you both! Take is easy! DO NOT overdo! Love you,
    Dave and Marybeth

    ReplyDelete